Kaspersky is a well-known name in the online security world. The company offers three antivirus suites—Antivirus, Kaspersky Internet Security, and Security Cloud. All three are among the best internet security apps for Windows 10.
In truth, Kaspersky is another app that’s struggled with performance issues in the past. But, like Windows Defender, those problems are firmly behind it. AV-TEST rated the app as 6/6 across all three of its testing categories.
Indeed, the suite only flagged three false positives in the April 2019 test, despite testing in excess of 1.6 million samples.
The entry-level Antivirus app ($75) only covers desktop PCs. For $20 more, the Internet Security ($79) suite adds mobile support for a minimal extra cost. It is the best option for most users.
- No virus will ever get through Kaspersky Antivirus
- Probably the least “hungry” product in terms of using your device’s resources
- A 30-day trial is included
- The totally free Kaspersky TDSSKILLER will scan your computer for rootkits and bootkits and remove them
- It is very easy to switch from the basic plan to the more advanced tiers
- The higher plans offer a huge list of amazing features
- The customization options will satisfy the fans of tweaking
- The Windows 10 client deserves the highest praise. The rest of the clients/appsare also great.
- The entry-level package comes with a very limited set of features
- For some users, the ultimate plan might seem expensive (but it’s actually not)
- Unfortunately, the basic package is only available on Windows systems. To get Kaspersky for Mac and the mobile platforms, you’ll have to switch to the top tiers
- If you are concerned that the Russian government is spying on the users through this antivirus, then it might not be the best choice for you (there’s no official proof, though)
- Protection against ransomware, viruses, and other malware
- Industry-leading performance with little system impact
- Privacy protection
- Safe Money (more security during online transactions)
- Security For Kids (parental control)
- Secure Password Manager
- File protection (additional security for your most precious data)
With a perfect 6/6 for protection, performance, and usability on AV-TEST, Bitdefender Internet Security is unquestionably among the best antivirus apps for Windows.
Like Kaspersky Internet Security, only three false positives were found from a sample size of 1.6 million and had a 100 percent record against both zero-day attacks and existing malware.
There are three different versions of the app available to Windows users: Total Security for $40 (which covers mobile devices), Internet Security for $35 (includes firewall and webcam protection), and Antivirus Plus for $30 (the entry-level paid suite). If you wish, you can purchase the Android and iOS versions of Bitdefender separately.
Other noteworthy features in Bitdefender include multi-layer ransomware protection, network threat prevention, and parental controls.
- A minimal impact on the system
- Full-featured software
- Scores very high in independent performance tests
- A built-in anti-ransomware feature
- An excellent Internet security option
- It is affordable
- A free Android app is available.
- Basic versions are for Windows only.
- The free Android app has limited capabilities.
- Scanning could be a bit faster
- Bitdefender Antivirus Plus
- Bitdefender Total Security
- Bitdefender Internet Security
- Bitdefender Family
- Bitdefender Mobile Security for Android and iOS
Quick Heal is an easy to use antivirus software which automatically detects and removes virus, Trojans, malware etc. The software can be configured to scan even attachments from email or any downloaded files from the internet.
The package is lightweight there by not impacting the system performance and using up resources. With constant update on virus signatures, Quick Heal Antivirus provides a very effective solution for your Virus and malware problems
- Automatic and customizable scanning modes
- Behavior-based antivirus tools provide stronger protection over signature-based models
- Utomatic Rogueware Scan
- An anti-keylogger tool, automatic scan scheduler
- Parental control feature is also extremely well-designed
- if you are using free version of that version, then it will provide limited protection, to avail full protection you should have to register it online or have to buy a registered version.
- Protection against ransomware, viruses, and other malware
- Industry-leading performance with little system impact
- Privacy protection
4. Norton Security:
No, that’s not a typo—we really are recommending Norton Security as our eighth and final pick.
The Norton suite has an erratic history. There was a time—around the turn of the millennium—when it had a vice-like stranglehold on the antivirus market. The growth of reliable free antimalware products, along with Norton’s ever-growing drain on system resources, saw its popularity decline rapidly over the next decade.
Fast-forward to today, and Norton Security is once again worth considering. AV-TEST gave it 6/6 across all three categories. Amazingly, it only saw an eight percent performance effect on a standard computer when loading popular sites (though its impact when installing frequently used applications was more noticeable at 28 percent).
Norton Security supports malware scans, real-time website ratings, malicious URL blocking, phishing protection, and behavior-based detection.
The four Norton Security plans cost between $40 and $100 per year, depending on the extra features you need.
- Easy to download, install, and use.
- With Norton Security Premium, you’ll get protection for 10 devices.
- Parental control features are industry-leading.
- Norton for Mac is just as powerful as the Windows version.
- Android/iOS packages are cheap and robust.
- Configuration options will make the tweaking enthusiasts love this antivirus even more.
- Almost no impact on the system’s performance.
- Scans can be slow at times.
- Security extras aren’t that great.
- The 2nd-year prices are very steep.
- Norton Security (NS) Bas
- NS 360 Standard
- NS 360 Deluxe
- NS 360 Premium
- NS 360 Deluxe With LifeLock
If you’re looking for an affordable antivirus solution but don’t really want to waste your time learning about all the available products, this software might be precisely what you need. As mentioned, it is reasonably priced, and even the most basic package (the 100% free plan) will make sure your device/mobile gadget is well-protected. Let us take a quick look at what TotalAV is best for:
Users in the market for affordable solutions;
Inexperienced users looking for an intuitive antivirus;
Outdated computers with little resources to spare;
Decent malware/spyware protection.
- Strong protection against malicious URL
- Solid phishing protection
- Comes with user-friendly apps for all four major platforms
- One of the least demanding antiviruses in terms of system resources
- Offers an impressive list of optimization tools
- Good money offer
- Around-the-clock customer protection
- The free version is a nice touch
- Speedy full scans
- No Independent Test results; average scores in hands-on malware tests
- While the prices are fair, this isn’t the most attractive solution
- Advanced firewall protection is only available with the paid plans
- No real-time protection with the free version
- Quick scans can take up to 15 minutes to complete
- This is a 100% free antivirus product that doesn’t come with a time limit. However, it’s one of the least feature-packed free antiviruseson the market and doesn’t even offer real-time protection. If you value your security and privacy, we highly recommend going for the paid versions.
MacAfee is one of the old Antivirus along with Norton and common name when it comes to Antivirus. Most of the PC and Laptop manufacturers put MacAfee as pre-installed software in the system with some offers so the cost factor is less for this software and the performance on threat detection is also good.
You’ll get decent amount of features and constant update on virus definition , however the scan performed could sometimes miss threats which other software may identify. This could also be due to virus definitions which MacAfee updates. The cost is relatively less and is a trustworthy brand.
- Decent scores in independent tests of malicious URL blocking
- Multiple bonus features
- Excellent customer support available around the clock, live chat
- Suits for smartphones and tablets are available
- 99% of false positives – the software doesn’t block safe programs and files
- Almost all of the 12 services provided can be disabled by the malware
- The bonus firewall is rather weak
- Phishing detection rates are low
- Requires almost 80% of computing power, very resource-hungry
- Does not feature protection of vulnerable software. No CD or USB rescue files
- Defense of all personal devices on Windows. Advanced packages include protection of iOS, Android and Mac devices;
- Two-way firewall to protect you from spyware, rootkits, and bots;
- Ransomware protection;
- File shredder to permanently delete files from your device;
- Gaming mode.
The company was established in 2002 by Danish entrepreneurs. For over 15 years of its existence, it has turned into a recognizable brand. As of today, BullGuard provides full-featured cross-platform anti-malware products, as well as mobile security software and IOT (Internet of Things) solutions. In most BullGuard reviews it is described as a robust and reliable tool for basic protection. What are the strong and weak points of BullGuard antivirus? Keep on reading to learn the details.
Thanks to their policy of affordable price-tags, lightning-speed customer support, and discounts, they’re created a product that is popular all over the globe. This antivirus is lightweight and has little to no impact on the system. It features a user-friendly design. With well-above-average independent test results, a list of simple yet useful features, and constant updates, it turns into a must-have.
- Lightweight and fast
- Compatible with earlier Windows versions, including Windows Vista (both 32 and 64)
- Antivirus protection is above average
- Most of the extra features come in handy
- Almost no impact on system performance
- Design and usability are excellent
- Anti-malware protection could be better
- The number of extras is limited
- For Android and Mac, a premium version needs to be acquired
- Safe browsing
- Behavioural engine
- Vulnerability Scanner
- Game Booster
- Vulnerability Scanner
- Parental Control
- Cloud Integrated Backup
- PC Tune-Up
8. AVG Antivirus:
This is one of the best free antiviruses, period. And while you might want to upgrade to the higher tier to ensure your device’s safety, even the basic package is well capable of defending the “main gate.” Most experts praise it for being user-friendly, intuitive, and easy to download. Plus, it doesn’t require nearly as many resources to run as some of its more famous rivals.
Real-time updates and constant PC scans will make sure no virus will ever get through. The dashboard is straightforward and will satisfy both the beginners and the antivirus enthusiasts. All this makes the AVG free version better than most entry-level packages; it is available on Windows systems, Mac systems, and Android devices.
AVG Technologies – the company behind this product – has been around for 2+ decades. Two years ago – in 2016 – Avast Software, a big player in the industry, officially bought it. Today, AVG Antivirus is an even better offer than before.
Therefore, if you’re looking for basic, yet solid protection from viruses and hackers but aren’t really ready to pay for that, AVG Free Antivirus will be right up your alley.
- Third-party testing companies praise this antivirus for impressive performance during their tests.
- The interface is very simple; even your kid will be able to make sense of it.
- You are free to choose between various package features without having to pay for all of them.
- The clients for Windows, Mac, and the Android app are great.
- The users can customize AVG Antivirus to their liking.
- Fast, reliable, and “beats” 99% of malware without “melting” your computer.
- The free version offers only basic protection.
- Sadly, it’s not available on iOS. The mobile app for Android is great, though.
- The performance scans are pretty pointless.
- In many regards, this antivirus is the same as Avast and it’s not the winner in the Avast vs AVG battle.
- The top tiers are pretty expensive.
- Not all functions of AVG antivirus are available for free, and it’s understandable. Being an extensive option for different lifestyles, AVG offers various tools for you, depending on the budget and needs.
- Security highlights include webcam protection and sensitive data protection
- Sensitive Data Shield allows you to hide all the vulnerable information from hackers. It controls who and which programs have access to your files.
- App lock and anti-theft options. App lock is available for particular applications, and anti-theft is extremely valuable if your device is lost or stolen. You also can pick the password vault if you always forget such data.
- If you’re afraid that someone will still find your files after their deletion, you may find File Shredder more appealing.
- If you worry about the computer’s performance, try Disk Cleaner.
9. Panda Security:
Panda Security is one of the most well-known antivirus software in the world that has a decent reputation. The company’s products include several attractive features that will help to protect your devices, secure your privacy, and even optimize the performance. Panda antivirus is available for the most operating systems, making it a great choice if you want to protect more than one device. If you are looking for reliable protection with several excellent features, then Panda antivirus is the right choice for you.
Panda has a good set of basic functions, even in its free version of antivirus. There are real-time scans, as well as on-demand scans, and they are configurable, including explicit protection for inserted USB drives. The new feature of Panda antivirus is Process Monitor. Unlike the Windows Task Manager, it provides information about the nature of processes that are rated as safe or otherwise.
- Simple and comprehensive scanning
- Organizing monitoring of removable gadgets
- PC protection from anti-spyware programs
- Prevention of outside attacks
- Long trial period
- Impressive functionality in the free plan.
- Possible conflicts with other security programs
- The overall degree of protection is inferior to more expensive products
- High false-positive rate
- It collects system and user data
- Checking can slow down the system
- Most modern types of malware use polymorphic techniques. It means that every single copy of the malware is unique. This method avoids classic signature detection.
- Panda Dome Advanced includes a simplepersonal firewall. During testing, it correctly translated all system ports into stealth mode. Nevertheless, even the built-in Windows Firewall successfully copes with this task.
10. Avira Antivirus:
Based in Germany, Avira Operations is a security software developer, mainly known for Avira antivirus. The company was founded in 2006, but the antivirus core has been in the works since 1986. According to official statistics, back in 2012, 100+ million users around the world had Avira installed on their devices. That same year, it was the sixth-most-popular product in the industry.
This year, the company introduced a brand-new, upgraded version of the antivirus. Avira is available with a VPN, a personal firewall, tune-up tools, a password manager, and more. It is compatible with all the major platforms and offers a 30-day money back guarantee. Add affordable subscription plans, a generous free edition, and a low system impact, and you’ll get an all-around decent service.
In a way, Avira’s most significant selling point is the impressive performance (and scores) in independent lab tests. The world’s leading testers, such as AV-Test and AV-Comparatives, always include this antivirus into their lists. The team has been perfecting the original formula for 30 years now, and today, it’s one of the best products in terms of security.
- Impressive independent lab test results
- Free version is strong against malware
- Offers a generous free trial and a 30-Day money-back guarantee.
- Fully compatible with Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android
- Cloud protection that allows you to check dangerous files in a safe environment)
- Low system impact, fast updates
- User-friendly, straightforward
- Paid version isn’t much better than free version in terms of security
- Free version doesn’t provide any customer support
- Numerous pop-up ads in free version
- Windows 10 Specifics comes with an excellent app for Win 10 that is user-friendly, straightforward and works flawlessly. Everything is right there in front of you – navigation is fast and effortless. Plus, the app requires minimal system resources to run, which means you won’t even notice it in the background.
- SafeSearch is a browser, a secure one: it blocks phishing websites, protects against malvertising, and collects results from the likes of Google. This is an extension for Chrome that offers protection while practically copying search results from the leading search engine.
- Just like all the other leading internet security suites, Avira offers an app for speeding up performance. With it, your operating system will boot faster; optimization is just one click away. And if you’re looking for advanced cleaning, battery optimization, registry cleanup, and more, you might want to upgrade to Pro.